Vacancy #: UNIOGBIS/MSD/HRTU/2019/05
Deadline: 15 days from the posting date
Post Title: Human Resources Assistant
Level: GS-5 (Fixed-Term Appointment)
Post Number: 30902574
Organizational Unit: UNIOGBIS/MSD/HRTU
Initial Appointment: 1 year (Subject to extension)
UNIOGBIS invites qualified Internal/External candidates to apply for the position highlighted above. Candidates are requested to submit the P.11 form/CV to UNIOGBIS Human Resource Office and clearly indicate the vacancy number they are applying to and attach copies of the following: Proof of Guinea-Bissau nationality (Birth Certificate/National Identity Card/Passport), diploma/certificate and employment letters from previous employer(s). Incomplete P.11 form/CV will not be processed.
Please note that you can also apply by email to [email protected]; Kindly note that applications received will be reviewed and only short-listed candidates will be notified. Applications received after the deadline will not the accepted.
Description of main duties and responsibilities:
Under the delegated authority of the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Recruitment and placement:
- Assists in reviewing draft job openings, ensuring that the evaluation criteria and responsibilities are in line with Generic Job Opening (GJO) and standard/individual job descriptions;
- Assists with the review of applications to ensure that candidates meet eligibility criteria, including requirements stated in the job openings;
- Initiates and follows-up on reference checks, in respect of academic verifications and employment records, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities;
- Initiates and prepares offer of appointment, including statement of Emoluments, for review by the Human Resources Officer;
- Assists with the scheduling and coordination of assessment of candidates, including written assessments, competitive recruitment examinations and Competency Based Interviews;
- Maintains up to date electronic roster for successful applicants to national category job openings, establishing contacts with candidates to update rosters;
- Advises staff and selected candidates on visa procedures and requirements;
Administration of entitlements and benefits:
- Advises staff on the application and implementation of HR policies, procedures, regulations and rules concerning entitlements and benefits;
- Reviews and maintain time and attendance records of staff, processing leave requests, liaising with sections and staff in cases of discrepancies;
- Reviews and processes entitlements and benefits related actions in HRIS and ERP;
- Assists with the monitoring and documentation of issues related to conditions of service of staff and advise the supervisor of any developments;
- Conducts research and prepares written responses to queries related to HR matters;
Performance Management and Staff Development:
- Assists with guiding staff on performance management and staff development, monitoring compliance as required;
- Assists in the development of career development programme to support staff members career needs;
- Assists in the organization and conduct of training courses and workshops in consultation and coordination with Training Units;
- Researches on the specific career needs of staff and make appropriate recommendations and staff development plans in line with the HR work-plan;
- Assists with the development and conducting courses related to general and human resources management needs;
- Assists with the monitoring of staff related costs and expenditures in ERP and alerts the supervisor on any projected shortfall;
- Ensures post management is conducted in line with established standard procedures and that managers and staff are adequately advised and briefed on post related actions;
- Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and prepares notes/reports;
- Assists with the compilation and preparation of statistical reports on HR related areas;
- Conducts exit interviews for separating staff and assists them in final arrangements;
- Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval, a variety of correspondence and other communications;
- Initiates required actions with regard to various HR related transactions, including budget and financial transactions concerning HR issues for review by the supervisor;
- Prepares and drafts written response to queries concerning HR related matters;
- Assists with reviewing and processing requests for classification, advising and answering queries on classification procedures and processes;
- Assists in providing documentation and background materials relating to classification;
- Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit;
- Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct comprehensive political research on range of issues, including those of a unique and/or complex nature. Knowledge of contemporary international relations and UN system, organization and interrelationships. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listen to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risk and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjust plans and actions as necessary; uses time effectively.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of product or services to client.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Course work/training in human resources are highly desirable.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related areas is required. Experience in application of UN Staff Rules and Regulations in operational environment is desirable, including administration of a broad range of entitlements and benefits.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English or French (both oral and written) is required, as well as Portuguese.
Other skills: Very good computer skills; Knowledge of UN applications such as Inspira, Umoja and FSS is an advantage.
|Preference will be given to equally qualified women candidates. Completed detailed applications documentation as specified above referring to Vacancy#: UNIOGBIS/MSD/HRTU/2019/05 should be forwarded to the attention of: Human Resources Section (HRS), UNIOGBIS Headquarters, Bairro Penha – Bissau, Guinea-Bissau.|